[SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

Heath Raftery heath.raftery at restech.net.au
Thu May 28 23:43:30 CEST 2015

On 28/05/2015 11:50 PM, Chris Hills wrote:
> Static analysis isn't free. Testing isn't free.
> Who determines the need for  or business case for static analysis and test?
> [CAH] normally (every report I have seen) static analysis saves a lot of
> time and money.
> The same is true of structured testing.

Funnily enough, the only experience I've had recommending static
analysis is as the programmer to the manager. This is indeed the
argument I use. A strange thing happens in business though (and perhaps
my lack of comprehension explains why I'm the programmer and not the
manager ;-) ) - capital costs and investment are worse than running
costs. Buying and applying static analysis, even if it is cheaper in the
long run, is always seen as less attractive than paying labour to deal
with the consequences later.

Heath